Maintaining Fun When Mobility Issues Are at Play | Executive Care of Seattle-Eastside
Dealing with mobility issues doesn’t have to mean that your aging loved one can no longer enjoy life as he or she knows it.
U.S. Census numbers report 47 million seniors living in our country, and this means that there are plenty of mobility issues being experienced. It was discovered in 2014 that 40% of those 65 and older have at least one disability. Of those, some two-thirds admitted to having issues with walking or climbing.
If you have a family member or friend that experiences a lack of mobility, he or she can still enjoy a good quality of life and experience a multitude of fun activities.
The Fun Doesn’t Have to Stop
Certain health circumstances such as arthritis, stroke or injuries due to falling can impede your loved one’s mobility, but that does not mean an exciting life has to come to a boring end.
Let’s take a look at some of the activities those who struggle with mobility can engage in:
- Scrapbooking. If your loved one collects photos of days gone by, what a fantastic way for him or her to relive the memories those photos stir up by organizing them into a scrapbook for others to enjoy.
- The great outdoors. Being outdoors can give anyone a mood lift, regardless of their age. Your loved one can enjoy the nice summer months from the safety of a shaded area, making sure he or she doesn’t get too overheated.
- Exercise options. Just because his or her mobility may be limited, that doesn’t mean exercise stops being an option. Your loved one can enjoy chair exercises, chair yoga and even focus on balance through walker exercises.
- Bingo. Don’t knock the activity, as it is an excellent way for your loved one to get out, enjoy a fun game and spend time with friends. Socialization is always a beneficial aspect!
- Embracing the creative side. It is known that depression and anxiety can be minimized by participating in creative activities like painting, drawing, crafts and sculpting. Fun, creative and engaging—you can’t go wrong there!
Your loved one can say goodbye to the downer days brought on by limited mobility in plenty of ways, especially through the ideas listed above.
Know that Executive Care of Seattle-Eastside is always ready to step in and help make sure your loved one is leading the life he or she wants and deserves, right in the comfort of home. Don’t hesitate to contact us to learn more about our in-home care services.